Fire Safety Tips during Summer Storms
Around Henry and Spalding Counties, we’ve been having a very rainy and stormy summer. Here are some tips to keep your family and your home safe when severe weather hits.
- Develop and practice an evacuation plan ahead of a severe weather event. (Don’t forget to have a plan for your pets too)
- Stay out of flood waters, if possible, and do not drive into flooded areas. Even water only several inches deep can be dangerous.
- There is no place outside that is safe during a thunderstorm, and if you can hear thunder, you are within striking distance of lighting
- Stay away from windows and doors
- Turn off computers and unplug appliances
- If possible, don’t run the dishwasher or washing machine during a storm
- Wait at least 30 minutes after hearing thunder before leaving your house or shelter